In the summer, all we want is to turn down the temperature on the thermostat as low as it can go and lay around the house, perhaps with a popsicle in hand or a nice frosty beverage. Of course, this isn’t always possible. First, you’ve likely got lots to do in the summer. Second, your air conditioner uses a lot of energy, and cranking up the AC will reflect poorly on your monthly bills and wear down the system a lot faster.
There are ways to help yourself and your family members to stay cool without using so much energy. Follow our tips and call our friendly team for air conditioning services throughout the Atlanta area.
Self-Care in the Summer
First things first: in warmer weather, it’s important to take care of your family and your own body, especially if temperatures reach dangerous extremes.
- Avoid strenuous outdoor work.
- If you do have to work outside, take plenty of breaks and make sure someone is there with you.
- Listen to your body, and learn to take rests every now and then if needed.
- Wear light clothing in light colors, as this reflects the sun’s rays.
- Always drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family members or anyone without AC.
- Never leave a child or pet in a hot car.
Giving Your Air Conditioner a Break
There are times when you can and should give your air conditioner a break.
- At night, you can often turn off the AC and open up some windows.
- In the daytime, close the shades and blinds to keep out the sun.
- Don’t use appliances that heat the house during the day, like your oven or dryer.
- Go to a local library or shopping mall to use the AC there. (However, think of your pets at home if you have them, and turn the temperature up a few degrees instead of shutting off the AC entirely.
- Visit a local public pool to cool off.
- Use fans to help distribute cool air throughout the home.
Turning Up the Temperature
This is a piece of advice many homeowners are hesitant to take. We’re here to tell you that turning down the temperature as low as it will go doesn’t actually cool you off faster. It only wastes energy keeping you cooler than you need to be.
Most households can be comfortable with a temperature of about 78°F (although some adjustments may need to be made for older residents and small children). Keep the temperature around this setting during the daytime and turn it up about 5° or 10° when you leave the house; you may be surprised at how much you save!
More AC Efficiency Tips
A good tip for using your air conditioner less is to keep it in the best shape possible. That way, it can run smoothly and won’t need to use any more energy than it should have to. That means you should do your best to…
- Schedule air conditioning maintenance once a year.
- Change the AC filter once a month to regulate airflow.
- Call a technician for repairs as soon as your notice a problem with the system.
For all your air conditioning needs, call the experts—Air Conditioning Experts, Inc. We offer AC services in Roswell, GA.